Midnight Snack and Other Fairy Tales
DD's second short fiction anthology
This second collection of (mostly) short fiction from Diane Duane features tales based on folklore, ghost stories and fairy tales with a modern twist.
The stories in the collection include:
- First Readthrough: How you do the casting for a fairy tale… and what can go wrong while you do.
- The Dovrefell Cat: Your pet polar bear may sometimes be a problem… but there’s one night of the year when he shines.
- …Under My Skin: Some first dates just don’t work out the way you think they will: not at all.
- A Swiss Story: Lots of people from that part of the world have something from “during the War”. But not many have anything like this…
- Blank Check: A most unusual client turns up at one of the world’s oldest banks with an impossible request… which nonetheless must be fulfilled.
- Don’t Put That In Your Mouth, You Don’t Know Where It’s Been: A would-be worshipper of the Triple Goddess has her upcountry ritual disturbed by something very odd.
- The House: A school project examining gingerbread as a structural element turns into something way more personal.
- Cold Case: A cop who won’t take no for an answer meets a murder victim who’s even more stubborn than he is.
- The title work, Midnight Snack: “Dad came down with the flu that week, so I had to go down to the subway and feed the unicorns…” The much-anthologized story finally uncensored and restored to its original intended form
- And completing the collection, a full-length feature film screenplay, Dead & Breakfast: a ghost story with computers.